In my search of free directory script online I found Arfoo, an open source PHP directory script with mySQL backend, and user-friendly interface. My aim here is to find a customizable directory script because I am lazy to build my own from scratch and second I am not an expert in PHP that would takes a lot of time to experiment.
Arfooo Directory includes many standard and advanced functionalities including:
- Language and template system
- Unlimited categories and subcategories
- Create link directories, RSS feeds directories, but also...
- Create directories without URL like yellow pages, jobs...
- Display address, phone, fax, coupled with Google Maps
- URL Rewriting, anti duplicate content, and possible optimization of each field for SEO
- Simple and intuitive placement of your advertisments (Adsense, affiliate ...)
- Create custom fields (text, checkbox, select...)
…Read more about Arfoo main features here
...Try its demo here
So, I give I shot on Arfoo version 2.0.2 though, the installation instruction seems confusing (not so detailed compared to PHP Link Directory) I have successfully installed Arfoo in my CPanel just an hour. After the installation, I login and check the Admin Panel, I see its menus are well organized, easy to navigate, and lots of features.
While testing its functionalities I found out that Arfoo has lots of bugs as follows:
- Can’t access the category items, it closes abruptly-I’ve tried the old version but it has the same problem
- Changing the Directory Title and Description won’t effect
- Can’t add any website since it has a problem in the category menus
- Wrong spelling menus. Example: the word “Category” was written as “Categorie. (I have spotted some more)
- Can’t change the Arfoo banner – I want to display my own banner
Some encounters the following:
- Page Rank not working
- No website thumbnail
Lack of Customer Support-The only means to contact the developer is thru the forum and the contact page(no response). Not good, the forum labeled as Arfoo tutorials contains marketing post about Adidas,men’s polo and lots of fashion items. Is it helpful to users?
Not a Popular Script-Arfoo Directory seems a dead script.They claim that the script were choose by hundreds webmasters worldwide but I never read any reviews of it not until if you read this. My point is it’s good to know the experience of other people using Arfoo to get some insights and tips.
Still in unstable version- it’s now on version 2 but the internal bugs ( I am referring to above issues) still unfix , so with would takes time to perfect. Also, it lacks template options as of now.
- It’s totally free – No hidden cost and free update --you will only need to maintain the footer backlink:”Powered by Arfoo Directory”
- Extensive and Advance Features- you could read its main features here
- Migration Script is available- using the migration script you’re be able to transfer from your current directory to Arfoo.
- Powerful Administration system
- Supports system advertising- Arfoo directory is ads ready
- Good Security features
Usability and Functionality........6
Not so bad but I have to try other functional product that would fit my needs. Hope Arfoo Directory would be improving soon.Thanks for reading. Please drop your comments below or subscribe for more updates.